Re: Aptitude issue

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 03:07:50 -0500, M. Lewis wrote:
I'm having an issue with Aptitude that I'm not sure how to correct. I was having an issue with OpenOffice so I decided the easiest way to resolve the problem might be to completely remove it, then re-install it. That is when the problem began. Aptitude hung trying to remove openoffice.org-writer2latex.

That indicates a problem with the pre-removal script of this package;
aptitude cannot do much about that.

I ended up aborting the process and went on about my business. Tonight I needed to install ksensors on the same machine when the OpenOffice problem again reared its ugly head.

The openoffice.org-writer2latex package is in a broken state on your
system (incomplete removal), therefore aptitude has to try to fix it
before it can perform actions on other packages.

rattler:~# aptitude install ksensors

[...]

Removing openoffice.org-writer2latex ...

At this point, aptitude will sit here for as long as you are willing to wait. On another terminal, I did 'ps ax'. The relevant portions follow:

 4726 pts/3    Sl+    0:03 aptitude install ksensors
 4757 pts/6    Ss+    0:00 /usr/bin/dpkg --status-fd 24
--force-depends --force-remove-essential --remove
openoffice.org-writer2latex
 4758 pts/6    S+     0:00 /bin/sh
/var/lib/dpkg/info/openoffice.org-writer2latex.prerm remove
 4759 pts/6    S+     0:00 /bin/sh
/var/lib/dpkg/info/openoffice.org-writer2latex.prerm remove
 4760 pts/6    S+     0:00 /bin/sh /usr/lib/openoffice/program/unopkg
list --shared
 4761 pts/6    S+     0:00 grep Identifier:.*writer2latex
 4762 pts/6    S+     0:00 cut -d: -f2
 4780 pts/6    S+     0:00 /usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconfd-2 4
 4802 pts/6    R+     0:11 /usr/lib/openoffice/program/unopkg.bin list
--shared -env:JFW_PLUGIN_DO_NOT_CHECK_ACCESSIBILITY=1
-env:UNO_JAVA_JFW_INSTALL_DATA=$$ORIGIN/../share/config/javasettingsunopkginstall.xml
-env:UserInstallation=fi

[...]

It seems that the pre-removal script gets stuck while trying to
determine the full name of the writer2latex extension. You can try this
yourself:

/usr/lib/openoffice/program/unopkg list --shared | grep latex

If that command comes up empty or if it hangs then you might have to
comment out every invocation of /usr/lib/openoffice/program/unopkg in
/var/lib/dpkg/info/openoffice.org-writer2latex.prerm and run "aptitude
install -f" to get the broken package off your system.

Hey Florian. Unfortunately this did not work. The command unopkg did in fact hang. I did comment out all of the occurrences of unopkg in /var/lib/dpkg/info/openoffice.org-writer2latex.prerm and ran 'aptitude install -f' as you said. Here is the result:

rattler:~# aptitude install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
  hddtemp ksensors
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  openoffice.org-writer2latex{u}
  libicu38 libkrb53 libmp3lame0 libssl0.9.8 openssl
5 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/11.0MB of archives. After unpacking 504kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
Reading changelogs... Done
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 182769 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing openoffice.org-writer2latex ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/openoffice.org-writer2latex.prerm: line 7: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org-writer2latex (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
 openoffice.org-writer2latex
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done

Thanks,
Mike

--

 Where the system is concerned, you are not allowed to ask "Why?".
  17:45:01 up 2 days, 14:37,  2 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.27, 0.23

 Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org