Re: Widescreen resolution ignored in xwindows/gdm

> I have an Acer X233H widescreen monitor and cannot get
> any of the 16:9 aspect resolutions up in gdm.
>
> I am using the latest 32-bit Etch binaries on a Pentium D
> system w/1GB RAM and an Intel 945 G/GZ on-board video controller.

  I have a Samsung widescreen lcd monitor with native 1680x1050q
  resolution, also use an Intel 945 on-board video controller,
  and never managed to get the monitor properly configured
  under Debian Etch after a  LOT  of monkeying with the XFree86
  config file ....

  After upgrading to Debian Lenny using the newer minimalistic
  xorg.conf file the monitor was automatically configured
  and works fine with its native resolution ....

  Simalar story with Zenwalk 5, where I also couldn't manage
  to get the display properly configured with the widescreen
  Samsung monitor, but it was magically configured with an
  upgrade to Zenwalk 6 ....

  If a dist-upgrade is possible for you, it  might  save
  a bit of hair-pulling trying to configure your monitor ....

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being