Widescreen resolution ignored in xwindows/gdm

I have an Acer X233H widescreen monitor and cannot get any of the 16:9 aspect resolutions up in gdm. I am using the latest 32-bit Etch binaries on a Pentium D system w/1GB RAM and an Intel 945 G/GZ on-board video controller. It comes up with 1600x1200 24 bit depth even though I have removed that from /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I only left 16:9 modes that were evenly divisible by 8 (like 1920x1080) in xorg.conf. I've played a bit with videogen to try to get a modeline entry, but it does not allow you to set lower limits and it goes below the limits a lot...
Any ideas out there?
Thanks,
Larry Irwin