Re: xorg upgrade in Sid causes jerky display

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 01:03, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
> On 10 Apr 2009, Kelly Clowers wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 14:21, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
>> > After today's upgrade of a lot of xorg stuff in Sid my full-screen
>> > display of TV is jerky, as is Googlearth.
>> >
>> > This is on a Thinkpad Z61M. I was using the radeonhd driver previously;
>> > I now have the upgraded radeon driver since radeonhd was removed. I
>> > don't know what to report a bug report for - the radeon driver or
>> > xserver-xorg. Anyone else seeing this?
>>
>> I see RadeonHD in my sid repos, but if you are using radeon now
>> I guess you might as well report it in that driver. But before you do
>> that, have you tried some of the various tweaks? I don't know which
>> ones are currently relevant (I am on Intel now), but there used to be
>> lots, from specifying exa or xaa to things like nooffscreenpixmaps.
>
> Yes, radeonhd is back now but using it doesn't help. I tried various
> options without improvement. I notice that DRI is enabled and I thought
> that might be the problem, but for some reason it is impossible to turn
> it off - Option "DRI" "false" does nothing. There are also some odd
> keyboard effects now - I can no longer stop X with Ctrl-Alt-Del.

That is a change that Ubuntu convinced upstream to do, to get it back:

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option          "DontZap"               "false"
EndSection

I don't know about the rest, except that disabling dri will almost
certainly make things slower. It sounds like a regression that
affects both drivers... I guess file a bug against one of the drivers
or against xserver, they can always reassign it if they need to. Or
ask on the xorg mailing list.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers