Special characters at the Linux console (was: Sid update would like to remove most xorg packages and drivers)

On 2009-04-10 12:16 +0200, David Jardine wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 09:09:12AM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> On 2009-04-10 01:00 +0200, Nick Lidakis wrote:
>>
>> > May I ask how you managed that superscript 1 after the word problem?
>>
>> With a German keyboard layout, it's on AltGr-1 (only under X).  Don't
>
> Not only under X :)

It did not work for me at the Linux console, because I didn't have the
console-setup package installed.  Now it works, but the screen
flickering on boot when the font is loaded is annoying.  OTOH, not
"setupcon -k") means that many characters, including the "¹"
superscript, are displayed as square boxes.

Now I'll try to find a way to preload a font, either in the kernel or in
the initramfs, to avoid that flickering.  My kernels do not currently
seem to be prepared for this, though:

,----
| % cat /boot/config* | grep -i fonts | uniq
| # CONFIG_FONTS is not set
`----

Sven