Re: Sid update would like to remove most xorg packages and drivers

On 2009-04-09 22:11 +0200, Nick Lidakis wrote:

> Sven Joachim wrote:
>> Why do you use dselect to manage upgrades?  IMO, that is a nice way to
>> torture yourself.
>>

> Thanks for the heads up. What is the best way to manage upgrades on a
> Sid desktop?

I have stuck to aptitude ever since I discovered it.  The "aptitude
safe-upgrade" command usually works very well, although I recently
discovered a problem¹ with the kde4 transition.  Note that aptitude has
a curses interface like dselect, but a much better one IMO.

> I was under the impression that dselect install and apt-get
> dist-upgrade worked slightly differently.

This may be so, I haven't used either for a long time.

Sven

¹ http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2009/04/msg00582.html