Re: USB PCI card to buy

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 07:54, Harry Rickards <hrickards@l33tmyst.com> wrote:

>>> I would recommend letting them know that you will not buy until they
>>> support Linux.
>>
>> But I need it so I will buy it.  From their perspective, they know that
>> the chipsets are supported in the linux kernel, but with all the
>> different distributions and versions (compared to just testing for
>> windows), it would be hard for them to test them all.
>
> What, Windows doesn't have many versions? Just the last few 'main' releases
> - XP Home, Xp Pro, XP Corp, XP Home SP1, XP Pro SP1, XP Corp SP1, XP Home
> SP2, XP Pro SP2, XP Corp SP2, XP Pro x64 SP2, XP Home SP3, XP Pro SP3, All
> the 7 editions of Vista, all the seven editions of Vista SP1 and I won't
> even mention Windows 7.

I agree that it is not too hard to test that hardware works on Linux, I disagree
with your comparison to Windows versions. With regard to drivers, the different
versions of XP and Vista are less different than kernel 2.6.26 to
2.6.27 (to take
a random example). Now the differences *between*  XP and Vista drivers are
more like the differences between 2.4 and 2.6, but that is only two versions.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers