Re: getmail vs fetchmail, WAS: Re: fetchmail and DNS resolution

On 2009-04-03 08:54, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On 2009-04-03 02:06, Andrei Popescu wrote:
[snip]
AFAIK fetchmail defaults to delivering your mail by using a local SMTP. This is a Bad Thing (tm), because it can create a lot of problems, YMMV
How so? It (fetchmail->Postfix/SpamAssassin->maildrop->~/Maildir) has been working perfectly on my system for 4 years.

Let me quote Charles Cazabon (ok, he's the author of getmail, but sure knows a lot about mail handling):

Smells of Appeal To Authority.

A morally superior person like me would *never* do that!!!!

,----
| NOTE: DO NOT USE "sendmail" (or any other MTA queue-injection command) AS YOUR
| DELIVERY INSTRUCTION.  Unless you're a mail expert (and you're not),
| re-injection of retrieved mail (with getmail or other agents) is virtually
| guaranteed to cause one or more of lost mail, misdirected mail, bad late
| bounces, leakage of delivery information, and other problems.
`----

Maybe getmail has a design flaw, or CC thinks that everyone still uses Sendmail.

This was just a few days ago on the official getmail mailing list, in reply to someone asking how to use the MTA for delivery. If you are interested in more details search the archives of the getmail list.

What the heck is an MTA for??? Right: transporting mail, usually on port 25. Postfix does a wonderfully boring job of receiving from fetchmail and cron, linking to SpamAssassin, then sending to my MDA.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer