fetchmail and DNS resolution

    I lost a hard drive and am attempting to restore it.
In a new bare installation of Sarge I can browse the web
with no problems. I can fetch my mail with this entry in
~/.fetchmailrc:
poll "66.63.128.171" protocol pop3
    user "mike.junk" with pass "xxxxxx" is "mike" here
        forcecr smtpaddress localhost fetchall
but with this entry:
poll pop3.nethere.net protocol pop3
    user "mike.junk" with pass "xxxxxx" is "mike" here
        forcecr smtpaddress localhost fetchall
I get this error and no mail:
POP3 connection to pop3.nethere.net failed: temporary name server error.
yet the identical entry in Etch's .fetchmailrc works and this entry
used to work in Sarge.

root@/deb31c:~/mike> cat /etc/resolv.conf
# /deb31/etc/resolv.conf for NetHere
domain nethere.com
nameserver 66.63.128.34
nameserver 66.63.128.50

I've googled/explored/checked everything I can think of.
Suggestions?

TIA,
Mike