Re: upgrading the kernel in debian etch from 2.6.18 to 2.6.29

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Joey L <mjh2000@gmail.com> wrote:

fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version -mykernel --revision 1
kernel-image kernel-headers

Change the "mykernel" string and revision number to differentiate your
builds.

You are booting from a lvm it seems, maybe with root on lvm. Do you have
a separate /boot ? Anyway, I take that you have everything needed
installed (lvm2 ?) and your kernel is configured with lvm support.

Another point to check is change in device naming between 2.6.18 and
2.6.29, it's likely that any hd* will become sd* with the new kernel, so
change your /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst and /boot/grub/device.map
accordingly.

Tom - thanks for the reply -
Do you think that is the issue  ???
I am running mirrored drives for /boot.  I can not boot off of lvm.
I have the rest of my drives on software raid5 and i have created lvm volume groups and put my / filesystem allong with everything else on them.

Do you think the issue is that between the 2.6.18 kernel and the 2.6.29 kernel - there was a change in the drive naming convention ???? where the hd* are now sd* ???

I am concerned if i try to change it, the system will not boot.

When compiling the kernel...does this stuff not happen automatically ??

I am also getting messeges that raid or array "failed to assemble all arrays"  ?? This array is working fine under the old kernel - the 2.6.18 ...  Is there somehting special in the command that i have to run for an array configuraiton with lvm ????

thanks