Re: upgrading the kernel in debian etch from 2.6.18 to 2.6.29

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Joey L wrote:
> I am running debian etch with - Linux thor 2.6.18-6-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Dec 25
> 21:08:54 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux ; I am running this with Raid 5 and LVM.
>
> I would like to update to 2.6.29 ; I found this article but i am little
> stuck, can you help ?

I guess I can. :-)

> The steps are:
>
> 1. apt-get install kernel-package ncurses-dev fakeroot wget bzip2
>
> 2. wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.29.tar.bz2
>
> 3.
>
> tar xjf linux-2.6.29.tar.bz2
>
> cd linux-2.6.29/
>
> 4.make menuconfig
>
> make-kpkg clean
> fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image

You might want to do add "--initrd" to the list of arguments to build
the ramdisk, which would load the modules required to mount your
drives and read the files etc. That should solve the problem.

> But i am getting an error that it can not find or mount the filesystem.
>
> If i reboot again and choose the older config, everything is back to normal
> and i am working with the old kernel.
>
> Can anyone assist ???

Please let me know if this helps.

--