Re: install daemon without starting it

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 10:12:54 -0500
Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@ieee.org> wrote:

>         There are mechanisms by which the site admin can tailor the
>  selection of daemons that start -- but the default should be I
>  installed it, and I installed it for a reason, so I want the thing
>  running.

But perhaps I don't want it to run until after I modify the default
configuration.  I may install a web server, but I may want it to serve
only over a LAN interface, and not over my public interface.  I know I
can block this at the firewall, but I want defense in depth, and I'm
suggesting that there can be perfectly common use cases where I want
the thing installed, and eventually even running, but not just yet, or
right now.

Celejar