Re: install daemon without starting it

On 2009-04-01 17:23 +0200, Jukka Salmi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is it possible to install a daemon from a Debian package without having
> it automatically started afterwards?

Temporarily create an executable /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d that exits with a
value of 101, e.g. the following shell script:

#!/bin/sh
exit 101

This tells invoke-rc.d to disable all actions, see
/usr/share/doc/sysv-rc/README.invoke-rc.d.gz.

> What I want to do is to install samba, but neither smbd nor nbmd
> should be started until I had a chance to edit smb.conf(5) manually...

Just don't forget to remove the policy-rc.d script afterwards.

Sven