Sound and mixers

Would any kind person with working sound be prepared to tell me her/his
settings in Alsamixer, KMix or any other mixer (provided that it is in the
Lenny repos ;-)  ).

Sound was working until I fiddled with the settings to try and get the mic
going, so the rest of the set-up must be OK.  I have tried altering each of
the settings while a CD was playing so that any improvement would show
immediately.  But altering one setting at a time didn't achieve anything, and
there are just too many permutations possible for it to be entirely realistic
to go thro' the lot.  Tho' I realise that I may be reduced to that. :-(

TIA
Lisi