Re: Consolechars Question

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 09:30:00AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 12:41:03AM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > Why consolechars -d? I thought that was already found not to be
> > satisfactory.
>
> No, consolechars -d always gives me the best font.  Since the command
> loads the default font it should be loaded at bootup.  Instead, as

So everything looks Ok in mutt if you do "consolechars -d"?

> described above, the font changes at least twice during bootup.  When
> bootup is complete the ASCII characters 1-128 are ok but the ASCII
> characters 129-256 are a problem.  Double frame symbols are used to
> indicate threading instead of single frame symbols and the capital N's
> with tilde appear in the lines.  The result can be read but it is not
> easy to spot where a thread ends and a new subject starts.
> > How have you set up the locale setting - "dpkg-reconfigure locales"?
>
> Only en_US_UTF-8 is selected.

That isn't one of the options. Do you mean en_US.UTF-8?

> > You are running mutt in the virtual console, i.e. non gui, and you are
> > not ssh'ing from another machine?
>
> I am using command line entries on tty1 through tty6 and I usually start
> mutt on tty2.

Same here, and with console-terminus installed and the
Uni3-TerminusBold16 font I can see more foreign characters in mutt.

I am a bit stumped as to why it is not working for you.

Ummm what is the output of:
apt-cache policy {kbd,console-data,console-setup,console-tools}

Mine is:
kbd:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.14.1-4
  Version table:
     1.14.1-4 0
	500 http://debian.attica.net.nz lenny/main Packages
console-data:
  Installed: 2:1.07-11
  Candidate: 2:1.07-11
  Version table:
 *** 2:1.07-11 0
        500 http://debian.attica.net.nz lenny/main Packages
	100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
console-setup:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.28
  Version table:
     1.28 0
        500 http://debian.attica.net.nz lenny/main Packages
console-tools:
  Installed: 1:0.2.3dbs-65.1
  Candidate: 1:0.2.3dbs-65.1
  Version table:
 *** 1:0.2.3dbs-65.1 0
        500 http://debian.attica.net.nz lenny/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

AIUI, you use either console-tools ** OR ** kbd to set the font.
So if you have 'kbd' installed, I'd purge it and that way you know that
only settings in /etc/console-tools/config are being used.

--
Chris.
======