Consolechars Question

During bootup (Lenny) the console font changes to a thin, wiry font
and then changes again to a font with much fatter characters.  The final
font is very readable but when I start mutt the symbols used to indicate
threading of messages are weird.

I installed console-tools and found the command consolechars -d changes
to a font simple symbols to indicate threading.

I don't mind resetting the font after each bootup but I am curious.
What font am I using?  Is there a way of displaying the available
English fonts?

Tom