Re: Consolechars Question

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 12:41:03AM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 09:59:57AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > >
> > > OK, install console-terminus then edit /etc/console-tools/config
> > >
> > > ------ /etc/console-tools/config -----------
> > > # Turn on numlock by default
> > > #LEDS=+num
> > > APP_CHARSET_MAP=utf8
> > > APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc1=utf8
> > > APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc2=utf8
> > > APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc3=utf8
> > > APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc4=utf8
> > > SCREEN_FONT=Uni3-TerminusBold16
> > > ------ /etc/console-tools/config -----------
> > >
> > > The lines "# Turn on numlock by default" and "#LEDS=+num" should already
> > > be there at the end of the file.
> > >
> > > Do the threading symbols now show correctly?
> >
> > No, they have become more complex - i.e. the space between the start of
> > a line and the threading symbol is now filled with capital n's with
> > tilde over them.  Previously there was just one N with tilde over it at
> > the start of a line.
> >
> > Initially there was no change after editing /etc/console-tools/config as
> > indicated above though echo $LANG responded en.US.UTF-8.  I rebooted
> > again seeing the switch to wiry fonts part way through the bootup.  When
> > the bootup was complete the console font looked like what I expect from
> > en.US.UTF-8 but when I ran mutt the threading symbols were double line
> > things and the space was filled with the N's with tilde over them.
> > I ran consolechars -d and the threading switched to single line symbols
> > and no N's with tilde.
>
> Why consolechars -d? I thought that was already found not to be
> satisfactory.

No, consolechars -d always gives me the best font.  Since the command
loads the default font it should be loaded at bootup.  Instead, as
described above, the font changes at least twice during bootup.  When
bootup is complete the ASCII characters 1-128 are ok but the ASCII
characters 129-256 are a problem.  Double frame symbols are used to
indicate threading instead of single frame symbols and the capital N's
with tilde appear in the lines.  The result can be read but it is not
easy to spot where a thread ends and a new subject starts.

> How have you set up the locale setting - "dpkg-reconfigure locales"?

Only en_US_UTF-8 is selected.

> You are running mutt in the virtual console, i.e. non gui, and you are
> not ssh'ing from another machine?

I am using command line entries on tty1 through tty6 and I usually start
mutt on tty2.