Re: Consolechars Question

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:55:06AM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 09:30:00AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 12:41:03AM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > > Why consolechars -d? I thought that was already found not to be
> > > satisfactory.
> >
> > No, consolechars -d always gives me the best font.  Since the command
> > loads the default font it should be loaded at bootup.  Instead, as
>
> So everything looks Ok in mutt if you do "consolechars -d"?
>
> > described above, the font changes at least twice during bootup.  When
> > bootup is complete the ASCII characters 1-128 are ok but the ASCII
> > characters 129-256 are a problem.  Double frame symbols are used to
> > indicate threading instead of single frame symbols and the capital N's
> > with tilde appear in the lines.  The result can be read but it is not
> > easy to spot where a thread ends and a new subject starts.
> > > How have you set up the locale setting - "dpkg-reconfigure locales"?
> >
> > Only en_US_UTF-8 is selected.
>
> That isn't one of the options. Do you mean en_US.UTF-8?
Yes.

> > > You are running mutt in the virtual console, i.e. non gui, and you are
> > > not ssh'ing from another machine?
> >
> > I am using command line entries on tty1 through tty6 and I usually start
> > mutt on tty2.
>
> Same here, and with console-terminus installed and the
> Uni3-TerminusBold16 font I can see more foreign characters in mutt.
>
> I am a bit stumped as to why it is not working for you.
>
> Ummm what is the output of:
> apt-cache policy {kbd,console-data,console-setup,console-tools}

Interesting.  My output is identical to yours except for console-setup
which shows 1.28 is installed. Having never used apt-cache policy I read
the man page.  From the entry I expected a file /etc/preferences.  This
does not exist so I was unsure how to change console-setup.

I had not yet run consolechars -d.  I did so and ran the
apt-cache policy {kbd,console-data,console-setup,console-tools}
command again.  The output was unchanged but the characters used to
indicate threading in mutt and the characters representing bullets in
the output of man apt-cache were changed!

Amusing, what?