Re: Moving to LVM

* Stefan Monnier (2009-03-18):
> > That said, two ext3 filesystems would be absolutely OK with me, as
> > long as I could merge them virtually, so my movieplayer (dbox2) would
> > have to access just one directory, and deleting files from that
> > directory would result in deleting the original file (not just a
> > symbolic link). I could create a "more..." symlink on disk1 pointing
> > to disk2, but I really want everything in one directory,
> > alphabetically.
>
> You can play around with unionfs or "mount --bind" and things like that,
> but my recommendation is to not bother: they can be very useful for
> various situations, but from what I can tell it won't bring enough
> benefits in your case (e.g. in a unionfs, erasing a directory will only
> erase it from the top directory, not the underlying one).

I gave unionfs a try (etch 2.6.18 plus its unionfs module source,
self-compiled), was able to 'unify' my directories, and export the
union mount via NFS. However I can't get any client to mount them.
Regular NFS exports of /mnt/{mybook,samsung} with the same syntax
work, just to mention it.

  # mount -t nfs 192.168.1.5:/mnt/flicks -o rw,soft,tcp,nolock,rsize=32768,wsize=32768 /mnt/filme/
  mount: 192.168.1.5:/mnt/flicks failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
  mount: nfsmount failed: Bad file descriptor
  mount: Mounting 192.168.1.5:/mnt/flicks on /mnt/filme/ failed: Bad file descriptor

  # /etc/fstab
  /dev/sda1 /mnt/mybook ext3      defaults,noauto,noatime,nodiratime 0 0
  /dev/sdb1 /mnt/samsung ext3   defaults, noauto,noatime,nodiratime 0 0
  unionfs /mnt/flicks unionfs noauto,dirs=/mnt/samsung/flicks=rw:/mnt/mybook/flicks=rw 0 0

  # /etc/exports
  /mnt/flicks 192.168.1.0/24(rw,async,no_subtree_check,all_squash,anonuid=1000,anongid=1000)

  # lsmod
  Module                  Size  Used by
  nfs                   284632  0
  nfsd                  268428  13
  exportfs                6784  1 nfsd
  lockd                  76980  3 nfs,nfsd
  nfs_acl                 4480  2 nfs,nfsd
  sunrpc                193128  13 nfs,nfsd,lockd,nfs_acl
  ipv6                  319916  16
  unionfs                96324  1
  fuse                   52852  1
  dm_mod                 68912  0
  usbhid                 53636  0

Tried the entire exports(5) arsenal of fsid,crossmnt,nohide etc.,
also exporting to a single host pp., no go.

> Using symlinks might not always do exactly what you want, but symlinks
> are well understood by all the usual tools and can be manipulated
> without needing root proviledge, so it'll always be easy to see what's
> going on and to fix things.  That's not necessarily the case with
> funny mounts.

If only they were fun mounts.

Well, symlinks... I fear I'm at a point where I have to get used to
the idea.

-André

--
May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb!
Linkstation/KuroBox/HG/HS/Tera Kernel 2.6/PPC from <http://hvkls.dyndns.org>