Re: Moving to LVM

> That said, two ext3 filesystems would be absolutely OK with me, as
> long as I could merge them virtually, so my movieplayer (dbox2) would
> have to access just one directory, and deleting files from that
> directory would result in deleting the original file (not just a
> symbolic link). I could create a "more..." symlink on disk1 pointing
> to disk2, but I really want everything in one directory,
> alphabetically.

You can play around with unionfs or "mount --bind" and things like that,
but my recommendation is to not bother: they can be very useful for
various situations, but from what I can tell it won't bring enough
benefits in your case (e.g. in a unionfs, erasing a directory will only
erase it from the top directory, not the underlying one).

Using symlinks might not always do exactly what you want, but symlinks
are well understood by all the usual tools and can be manipulated
without needing root proviledge, so it'll always be easy to see what's
going on and to fix things.  That's not necessarily the case with
funny mounts.

        Stefan