Re: Rescue Linux partition

HI,

> Is there a bootable utility that can be installed on a CD and rescue or back
> up the data in the Linux ext2 partitions on my HDD and write them to a CD
> using the CD writer on my system.

I think that any Linux live cd (DSL - Damn Small Linux, or Knoppix,
for example) it's good to do the job.

> The data in the ext 2 partitions is
> small enough to fit onto a CD.  I don't want to install a different Linux
> version if I can't backup what's already there.

Why not in a USB Flash Drive?

> I also need a utility to determine why the floppy
> won't boot, even though it reads and writes once the system is booted to
> Windows.

Again, with a linux live cd you could try to mount the floppy:
# mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /media/floppy
If i remember correctly, you need also to load "floppy" module.
Maybe you also need to add this option:
pnpbios=off
to the kernel command line, during the boot.

Once you have installed linux on hd, you can:
- add "floppy" module on /etc/modules: in this way it will be loaded
at every boot;
- edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst and add at the end of "kernel" line
the option pnpbios=off

Anyway, dmesg is your friend.
Hope this helps you
Regards