Re: Adding installed packages to menu

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> wrote:
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Daniel Burrows wrote:

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 01:51:20AM +0900, Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> was heard to say:
The package is flightgear, the Flight Gear Flight simulator.

 I installed flightgear on my computer overnight to test this myself,
and it does appear to go into the Gnome menu, under
"Applications -> Games".  Its .desktop file should look like this:

$ cat /usr/share/applications/flightgear.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Comment=A flight simulator
Comment[pt]=Simulação de Vôo

Hello again.

Just thought t6hat I should advise:

Using vi, I created the above file, at the specified location, then ran update-menus.
do you also need to run update-desktop-database?

Flight Gear now has an entry in the Games menu, and the menu entry runs the application.

Now, all I have to do, is figure out how to use it, and learn to fly (kind of) using it, without crashing or causing other massive stuffups.

Thanks everyone, for your help.
Bret Busby
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."