[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Advice about ext3, please

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Steven Demetrius
<steven.demetrius@fiwwi.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 12:27 +0000, Aneurin Price wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Steven Demetrius
>> <steven.demetrius@fiwwi.com> wrote:
>> > On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 11:19 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> >> > Does anyone here power off their computer without first shutting it down?
>> >> > Maybe, but after having to spend time repairing the system and/or rebuilding
>> >> > it or losing data they most likely don't anymore.
>> >>
>> >> Even if you're careful, you'll still occasionally lose power, and your
>> >> machine will still occasionally crash.  That's why people have developed
>> >> file systems that can withstand even such situations (using journalling
>> >> or a log structure).
>> >>
>> >> > Neither ext2 nor ext3 were designed to be used in this manor.
>> >>
>> >> ext3 was specifically designed for these situations.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>         Stefan
>> >>
>> >
>> > This is becoming ridiculous now. You are just replying and going to
>> > extremes just because you can.
>> >
>> Are you reading the same discussion as me?
>> > I'm here to try an help others just as I've got help in the past. Not to
>> > get into some illogical off topic discussion.
>> >
>> > I look forward to discussing other topics with you but for now this one
>> > is at end.
>> >
>> Huh?
>> Have completely I missed some subtext here? Or maybe parts of the thread?
> Stefan:

You are responding to the wrong person.

> The original post for this thread was a user asking whether to use ext2
> or ext3 on a removable USB HD.
> Some people replying to the thread quoted bits and pieces of the thread
> and replied to those pieces. This causes confusion and leads to off
> topic discussions. As in this case.

The only problem I've seen in this thread is you.

> There are currently other posters arguing about top-posting,
> bottom-posting and inline-posting. With some saying they will do what
> they want regardless. This is nuts!

All with a changed subject line so it is easier to ignore.

> The whole point to this mailing list is to help Debian users. Some of
> them new users.
> With all the off topic posts, inconsistent posting and arguments, not
> discussions, the mailing list seems chaotic and this does not encourage
> people to participate and therefore does not encourage people to use
> Debian.
> Some posters do not fully read the posting they are replying and from
> their posts do not give their own post much thought either.
> One example is saying that a good UPS costs about the same as a
> computer. A simple price search on the Internet will prove this wrong.
> This shows that the poster did not even verify the post and is just,
> excuse the phrase, talk out of his ass!

You know what? Fuck you. Try finding a UPS listing a load capacity of
greater than 2-3 minutes for less than £200. The useful information given
is that apparently they last far longer than that most of the time. In
fact I spent about fifteen minutes searching for any which would be a
reasonable replacement for the one we have here, which doesn't last long
enough to give the machine time to shut down.

> Yes I've made mistakes, however I post corrections.

Your contributions to this thread have ranged from useless to trolling.

> I also give references so that people can go look up and read the
> material for themselves.

Now you appear to be simply lying.

> Now if you think about where this thread started ( a user asking whether
> to use ext2 or ext3 for a removable USB HD) and where it is now what
> would you say.
> Please note that this is not a personal attack.

I'm unsubscribing from d-u for a few days because I've reached my monthly
obnoxiousness tolerance already.

Reply to: