Re: Advice about ext3, please

On 2009-03-08_23:25:53, Celejar wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 23:15:43 -0400
> Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > ext2 is problematic for removable drives because if you remove the drive
> > without cleanly unmounting it you risk losing your data.  So I would
> > recommend ext3 for such uses.  Performance is rarely an issue, actually.
>
> I use ext3 for my external USB drive.  Does this mean that I can remove
> it without cleanly unmounting it and not need to worry, or do you
> merely mean that I'd be less likely to lose data than if I'd use ext2?
>
> Celejar

I think it is not quite so robust as that. From reading wikipedia, I
think fsck can clean up the mess, faster and more reliably if journal
is available.  I think. I'm not sure. But surely your better off with
journaling than without when you accidentally pull the plug too
soon. And one thing I know for sure about me.  I make mistakes.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net