New installation can only boot to command line as root

Hello Everyone:

I installed Lenny for a normal workstation:
Pent 4 2.40 GHz
1 GB RAM
2 WDC WD400JB-00ENA0 hard drives (used to be mirrored drives on an XP
machine; I installed on the master drive)
Radeon 7000 display adapter
Intel Pro/100 net card
ASUS CD-5520/A
Sony Multiscan 17sf II monitor

The graphic installation from small CD went well but could not boot into
the graphic login afterward. I just get a blank monitor and the hard
drive stops activity.

I re-installed a couple of times, hoping that something would change. No
luck.

I discovered after booting into the "single user" mode, that I can log
in to the command line as root. After I exit root, the machine then
hangs just like it did upon reboot as described above with a blank monitor.

I'm stuck. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Ray