Re: New installation can only boot to command line as root

> The graphic installation from small CD went well but could not boot into
> the graphic login afterward. I just get a blank monitor and the hard
> drive stops activity.
>
> I re-installed a couple of times, hoping that something would change. No
> luck.

Is the "small CD" the netinst? I tried several times to install Lenny
using the netinst CD and had problems like those you describe. After a
couple of retries, I just downloaded the first CD
(debian-500-i386-CD-1.iso) and installation went to completion.

This sort of issue with the netinst CD has been encountered by other
folks:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=210385&sid=bffbdd6d39911673befef1503253faad

HTH