Re: Adding installed packages to menu

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Thorny wrote:

  you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,

Being a fan of Adams myself, I gave a bit of thought to your sig lines.

You may want to investigate Chapter 3 from the Debian FAQ:

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-choosing.en.html#s3.1

Since you did point me to it, from that web page;

"The stable distribution is currently etch; The next stable distribution will be called as lenny. Let's consider the particular case as to what happens when lenny is released as the new stable version.

    *

      oldstable = sarge; stable = etch; testing = lenny; unstable = sid

    *

"

;)

I did look at the web page, but "it gets confusinger and confusinger"...

I am currently running Debian 4.0 on this system; a desktop/workstation/whatever. It is the only operating system installed. I am not game to upgrade it to Debian 5.0, in case it breaks. And, yes, I have previously had upgrades break a system, and I have a computer that I haven't been game to reboot, after it apparently lost about 10-20 years records and research in a system breakage.

My laptop has Debian 4.0 and Ubuntu 8.10 and Win XP installed, in a multiple booting system. The Ubuntu was installed, as Debian has never been able to automatically resolve an interrupt conflict involving the network card, but Ubuntu had been able to do it, a couple of versions ago, and with Debian 4.0, network access was erratic and intermittent, so the latest version of Ubuntu was installed in a vacant partition, but, whilst flightgear seems to load and work okay on it (it just has a dopey "nut behind the wheel, that can't do anything much, other than make the plane go around in circles, while it is supposed to be taking off), recent updates on the system have repeatedly broken KDE stuff (I run KDE applications, on a GNOME interface), like KFTPGrabber, which has now become dangerous. In posting a message on the Ubuntu list, about what happened with the Ubuntu updates, I was advised that I should replace the Ubuntu 8.10 installation with a Ubuntu 8.04 installation, as it appears that, basically, Ubuntu 8.10 is like Debian exerimental.

So, basically, it all gets complexer and complexer.

And, while I have a little knowledge of Linux, having started with a Slackare version, and then Red Hat 5.0, when it was current, with what previously happened with a Debian system, that, sometime, I have to, I have been told, boot with a live disk, to try to recover what I can of the data, and possibly dedicate a week or so, to trying to resolve that problem, I am hesitant about trying to make changes to this system, which includes being wary of upgrading to Debian 5.0, until the ripples on the list about Debian 5.0, have settled.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."