Re: pcmcia bluetooth card intro questions

H.S. wrote:
Steven Demetrius wrote:
H.S. wrote:
What kind of cards are supported in Debian (Testing)?

What I have mind, if it is possible, it to get a bluetooth card for the
PCMCIA slot and use it for a mouse and a headset and probably also for a
cell phone.

Thanks.
If you have USB on your laptop may I suggest using a USB Bluetooth
adapter. They are smaller, cost less and uses less power than PCMCIA cards.

This is another question that came to mind when I searching a bit more
about this topic. From your comments it looks like the USB bluetooth
adapter provides exactly the same functionality as a PC card. When I was
searching for pcmcia cards, I noticed that there is huge choice in USB
bluetooth adapters as compared to pcmcia cards.

Here is the lsusb result on the one I use.

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth
Dongle (HCI mode)

No need to install drivers. Plug N Play :)

Very interesting. You have made some valid points in USB bluetooth adapters.

I've used this with several mobile phones and headsets. It also works
with my bluetooth mouse but have not had the time to fully set it up and
test it yet.

I'm guessing that one of the reason you want to connect a mobile phone
is to access the phonebook and calendar. I've had issue with this using
several mobile phone access packages, especially with newer mobile phones.

Yes, that is what I had in mind.

An easy solutions to this is to, on the phone, export all your contacts
into a vCard file. You can then copy it to you computer via bluetooth.
All the addressbook applications in Debian except Icedove's address book
can read, edit, save, import, export vCard format. So now you can edit
the contents of the vCard and export it back to the phone. You should
delete all the contact from the phone first before you import the
new/changed set of contacts back into the phone. Or you will end up with
duplicate contacts on the phone. I think the same works for he calendar
but I have not tried it yet.

Nice to know.

Thanks.

One more thing. The default setting for bluez in Debian needs to be changed in order to get it working. You need to edit the following file.

 /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf

You need to remark the (passkey "1234") line and add the pin_helper. under HCId options. Here is the content of my hcid.conf.

# HCI daemon configuration file.
#

# HCId options
options {
        # Automatically initialize new devices
        autoinit yes;

        # Security Manager mode
        #   none - Security manager disabled
        #   auto - Use local PIN for incoming connections
        #   user - Always ask user for a PIN
        #
        security user;

        # Pairing mode
        #   none  - Pairing disabled
        #   multi - Allow pairing with already paired devices
        #   once  - Pair once and deny successive attempts
        pairing multi;

        # Default PIN code for incoming connections
        #passkey "1234";
        pin_helper /usr/bin/bluez-pin;
}

# Default settings for HCI devices
device {
        # Local device name
        #   %d - device id
        #   %h - host name
        name "%h-%d";

        # Local device class
        class 0x000100;

        # Default packet type
        #pkt_type DH1,DM1,HV1;

        # Inquiry and Page scan
        iscan enable; pscan enable;

        # Default link mode
        #   none   - no specific policy
        #   accept - always accept incoming connections
        #   master - become master on incoming connections,
        #            deny role switch on outgoing connections
        lm accept;

        # Default link policy
        #   none    - no specific policy
        #   rswitch - allow role switch
        #   hold    - allow hold mode
        #   sniff   - allow sniff mode
        #   park    - allow park mode
        lp rswitch,hold,sniff,park;
}

With this setup when you try to connect the phone type in any 4 digit code in both the computer and phone when prompted. If you're not prompted then try to restart bluetooth. If you use KDE then install kbluetooth.

For headsets the default code is "0000" since you can't enter a number in the headset. :)

I've tested this setup wit Kbluetooth and it works very well. Have not tired it with Gnome but it should work. There maybe issue with KDE/Gnome pin_helper but I have not encountered any yet.

Have fun :)
Steven.