Re: pcmcia bluetooth card intro questions

H.S. wrote:
Hello,

I do have any experience with PCMCIA bluetooth cards on laptop and have
some questions. I have gone over some web pages about what these cards
are, but my question are more of practical nature.

This is on a laptop which has a slot for Type 2 PCMCIA (also called PC?)
card.

If I were to buy a PCMCIA bluetooth card and insert it into the slot,
can I then use a bluethooth mouse and a bluetooth heatset, together,
with the laptop without having to connect any kind of dongle to the
PCMCIA card?

What kind of cards are supported in Debian (Testing)?

What I have mind, if it is possible, it to get a bluetooth card for the
PCMCIA slot and use it for a mouse and a headset and probably also for a
cell phone.

Thanks.

If you have USB on your laptop may I suggest using a USB Bluetooth adapter. They are smaller, cost less and uses less power than PCMCIA cards.

Here is the lsusb result on the one I use.

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

No need to install drivers. Plug N Play :)

I've used this with several mobile phones and headsets. It also works with my bluetooth mouse but have not had the time to fully set it up and test it yet.

I'm guessing that one of the reason you want to connect a mobile phone is to access the phonebook and calendar. I've had issue with this using several mobile phone access packages, especially with newer mobile phones.

An easy solutions to this is to, on the phone, export all your contacts into a vCard file. You can then copy it to you computer via bluetooth. All the addressbook applications in Debian except Icedove's address book can read, edit, save, import, export vCard format. So now you can edit the contents of the vCard and export it back to the phone. You should delete all the contact from the phone first before you import the new/changed set of contacts back into the phone. Or you will end up with duplicate contacts on the phone. I think the same works for he calendar but I have not tried it yet.