On VHS capture hardware/software that works with Debian

Hi.

I have a good sized amount of VHS tapes that contain some material of
high personal value and, unfortunately, those tapes keep deterirating
their quality.

I am, thus, in a hurry to transfer them to a digital format where I can,
say, freely copy them, give my relatives a copy of some videos of my
late grandpa etc.

Therefore, I would like to know the experiences of people from the
Debian community regarding both software and hardware for this very
task. I would like to record what I have in analog form with the highest
quality possible (and, latter, I can think of converting the final
result to a DVD, iPod, MPEG-4 ASP file etc).

I have a friend of mine that has an old ATI Rage 128 card (if I am not
mistaken) with line in. Would it be possible to make it work under
Linux?

If I happen to have to purchase something, what would be the recommended
hardware (with Free Software support)?

Although not exactly a piece of hardware for a computer, I see that
there are some interesting devides that work without being connected to
a computer, like Pinnacle's "Digital Video Transfer" USB thingy. Is it
recommended? Are there other similar tools from other manufacturers?

For those that don't know about Pinnacle's "Digital Video Transfer",
here are some links:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/Instant+Video+Recorder.htm
http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/review/pinnacle-video-transfer/
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/03/pinnacle-video-transfer-records-video-to-anything-usb-2-0-even/
http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/review/2008/03/13/Pinnacle-Video-Transfer/p1

Anybody knows of comparable devices?

So, the gist of it is that I am undecided and that I don't know if I
should get my friend's card (I don't have too many tapes), if I should
get a computer hardware card or if I should get one of those devices
like the DVT USB thing.

Since I'm currently not subscribed to the list, I would kindly
appreciate if you could Cc me.

Thanks in advance for any comments, Rogério Brito.