Re: application like iPhoto on Debian GNU/Linux Etch?

On 2009-02-23_10:27:43, Johann Spies wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 01:21:26AM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > On 2009-02-15_23:09:10, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > is there an application on the Debian GNU/Linux Etch like iPhoto on
> > > the Mac OS X operating system?
> > >
> > > With it one can to import some rendered images and make a movie with
> > > the File / Export command.
> > >

> > I spent a half hour today looking at Picasa for Linux. I prefer it to
> > iPhoto and am intending to install it on my daughter's Mac. I already
> > know that it plays much more nicely with non-Mac systems than iPhoto.
>
> You can also look at digikam, kphotoalbum and f-spot.  I use f-spot a
> lot and it is improving with every new version.  Digikam and
> kphotoalbum has some other advantages.
>
> You can also look at qdvdauthor to create movies from a selection of
> images.

My special problem is a family in which there are people with Mac( and
iPhoto), and Windows, and me (with Debian). I want something that
works reasonably well on all three. And for which moving picture files
among the three is trivial. For this, iPhoto is not an answer. Digikam
is a candidate, but it is not Mac compatible, SFAIK. But all these
practical restrictions are subject to future developments, so none of
these opinions are likely to stand the test of time.

Also one family member has only 56kB modem access to the internet, so
picture sharing on the internet is not an option (for me).

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net