Re: How to remove automatically installed packages when nothing depends on them?

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 09:23 -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 05:06:54PM +0100, Michael Wagner <michaeldebian@web.de> was heard to say:
> > From "man aptitude"
> >
> > --purge-unused
> > 	   Purge packages that are no longer required by any installed
> > package. This is equivalent to passing “-o Aptitude::Purge-Unused=true”
> > as a command-line argument.
> >
> > English is not my first language and I understand the above that it
> > removes packages which are no more required. And this is what the OP
> > wants.
>
>   The subtext of that statement is the assumption that you are aware
> that aptitude always *removes* packages which are not required (unless
> you have disabled that).  Since you're the second person to make this
> mistake, I probably need to fix that text in the manpage.

Yep, I found that confusing too. What _I_ was looking for, though
(apologies for the thread hijack), was a way to say: "Don't remove those
unused packages at this time".

Is there an easy way to do that?

My context was that I needed to add a package to a machine that I'm not
the primary admin for, and didn't want to go removing (or
unmarking-auto) packages from a machine I don't fully understand the
purpose of.

Richard