RE: my new Inspiron - WAS: OT: laptop recomendations

[snip]

Meh, the sudo thing annoys me. I just `sudo su` and get the root prompt.
I will probably get yelled at again for saying that though...

> >the wireless configurations are
> >/much/ different then they were in Debian Etch. Try using "network
> >manager"; I bet the icon is in the top right of your screen by the
clock
> >(looks like 2 computers). Left click to see the wireless networks it
has
> >found, right click to see the properties information.
> >
> I have just tried this. A left click on the icon just proposes a
"manual
> config" (it also shows a grayed line "Cabled network". After awhile, a
> box appears though, but the box is blank. At this stage, the system
has
> been up for at least 30 minutes. So, I clicked to "manual config".
Once
> there and after authentification with my pasword (it still works
there),
> I clicked on "wireless connexion" and "properties". Once there, I
> deactivated the "roaming mode" (I hope there is no confusion in the
> translation, since most everything is in French on that laptop). Once
> that mode deactivated, the blue network light came on in the front
left
> of the machine ; it was out before... Ah YES, I just carried another
> trial... true enough, the blue light did come in only after I
> deactivated roaming, but, this time, when I tried to reactivate it,
the
> light did not came out and I got two networks available, one is my
> neigbour's, the other one is mine. I gave the pasword as required, and
> it seems to reach a connexion... the former icon is being replaced by
> four bars... If I get the pointer on it, it says : "connection to
> wireless network Livebox-46db (0%).
[snip]

0% is bad; especially if you have 4 bars shown. Something isn't right.
Post your hardware please and let the list look at it.

Have fun!
~Stack~