Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Mark Allums wrote:

>> In general, I think Dell's hardware is unreliable. They work fine
>> initially. But after 1 year or so, things start to fall apart. This is if
>> you plan to use laptop intensively (say 8-10 hours a day). But if you
>> just use it for 1-2 hours a day, then it's life might be more.
>>
>> raju
>

> Don't blame Dell for the video being defective, in this case.  The
> culprit is NVidia, and all laptop makers are at their mercy.  (Other
> issues, like battery life, I have no knowledge of, and cannot speak to.)

I did not blame Dell just because I had problems with my laptop. I reached
at that conclusion after watching my friends laptops' performance etc., At
least five friends of mine who bought Dell laptops have had various
problems.

What I have observed (over the past 4 years or so) is that, typically after
1 year (and even before 2 years) things start going bad. It could be a hard
drive failure, it could be that fans stop working (so the processor heats
up... leading to its failure), it could be black spots on the monitor, it
could be power supply failure, it could be mother board going bad. In my
case it just happens to be battery, faulty video card.

The fact of the matter is Dell's laptops are made with "cheap" (quality
wise) hardware. So they cost less. If you can put in more money, and if you
would like to use the same laptops for more than 1-2 years go for some
other brand. I do not know what that other brand should be. But I do know
that Dell laptops are not the correct investment for a long term reliable
laptop.

hth
raju
--