Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> On Wednesday 2008 December 10 16:45:09 Micha Feigin wrote:
>>Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at
>> the drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't
>> up to par with the synaptic).
>
> I'm happy with my Dell Inspiron E1505.  My roommate is happy with his more
> recent laptop purchase from Dell.  My other roommate likes his Thinkpad,
> but it is a much older system, so I can't say that reflects the quality of
> current Thinkpads.

I own a Dell Inspiron E1505. I do not recommend it. Get something else
(preferably non-Dell).

I always have problems with their batteries, video card. No matter how many
times I replace the batteries, they seem to go bad after some time. I
replaced the battery 3 times. After 3-4 months the battery life will be
reduced to less than 1 hour and then after some time, they just don't work.

As for the video card, if I play a flash based movie in windows XP, there
will be a "blue screen memory map" error after some time. FWIW, the movies
work fine in Linux. I searched in google for this and found that the video
cards in Dell Inspiron E1505 are defective.

In general, I think Dell's hardware is unreliable. They work fine initially.
But after 1 year or so, things start to fall apart. This is if you plan to
use laptop intensively (say 8-10 hours a day). But if you just use it for
1-2 hours a day, then it's life might be more.

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/