Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

On Wednesday 2008 December 10 16:45:09 Micha Feigin wrote:
Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at
the drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't
up to par with the synaptic).
I'm happy with my Dell Inspiron E1505.  My roommate is happy with his more
recent laptop purchase from Dell.  My other roommate likes his Thinkpad,
but it is a much older system, so I can't say that reflects the quality of
current Thinkpads.

I own a Dell Inspiron E1505. I do not recommend it. Get something else
(preferably non-Dell).

I always have problems with their batteries, video card. No matter how many
times I replace the batteries, they seem to go bad after some time. I
replaced the battery 3 times. After 3-4 months the battery life will be
reduced to less than 1 hour and then after some time, they just don't work.

As for the video card, if I play a flash based movie in windows XP, there
will be a "blue screen memory map" error after some time. FWIW, the movies
work fine in Linux. I searched in google for this and found that the video
cards in Dell Inspiron E1505 are defective.

In general, I think Dell's hardware is unreliable. They work fine initially.
But after 1 year or so, things start to fall apart. This is if you plan to
use laptop intensively (say 8-10 hours a day). But if you just use it for
1-2 hours a day, then it's life might be more.

raju

Don't blame Dell for the video being defective, in this case. The culprit is NVidia, and all laptop makers are at their mercy. (Other issues, like battery life, I have no knowledge of, and cannot speak to.)

Mark Allums