Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Micha Feigin wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 15:43:19 -0500
> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Which video card do you have? The ATI x1400 in this card was a pain in
>> > the beginning, but now that ATI supports Linux it is great. I am very
>> > happy with the video performance.
>> >

>> $lspci  | grep ATI
>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M52 [ATI Mobility
>> Radeon X1300]
>>
>> I can't complain about video performance. My complaint was with the
>> memory parity errors when flash videos are played on Windows XP. The
>> error is
>>
>> *** Hardware malfunction
>> Call your hardware vendor for support
>> NMI: Parity check/ memory parity error
>> *** The system has halted***
>>
>> It occurs pretty randomly. Sometimes while watching a flash video it can
>> occur at 35th minute sometimes it can show up at 7th minute. Sometimes it
>> might not even show up after the full video (say 60 minutes). The videos
>> play fine in Linux.
>>

> Perhapse you should run memtest (aptitude install memtest86+, then reboot,
> choose the memtest option and let it run for a couple of hours).
>
> Could be that you have some faulty memory that windows is hitting and
> linux not
> for some reason (x3100  is a shared memory card), possibly due to video
> mode, double buffering etc.
>
> (although I don't know if memtest can check the video memory, you should
> probably set it to the minimum in the bios for the test if possible)

FWIW, A little search in google tells that the fans of "world of warcraft"
also have the same issue. (See
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=69639514&sid=1&pageNo=1
for more info). They happened to encounter it while playing that game
(which, I assume, consumes a lot of RAM, CPU cycles). So it sounds like a
hardware issue.

hth
raju
--