Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> As for the video card, if I play a flash based movie in windows XP, there
>> will be a "blue screen memory map" error after some time. FWIW, the
>> movies work fine in Linux. I searched in google for this and found that
>> the video cards in Dell Inspiron E1505 are defective.
>>

> Which video card do you have? The ATI x1400 in this card was a pain in
> the beginning, but now that ATI supports Linux it is great. I am very
> happy with the video performance.

$lspci  | grep ATI
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M52 [ATI Mobility
Radeon X1300]

I can't complain about video performance. My complaint was with the memory
parity errors when flash videos are played on Windows XP. The error is

*** Hardware malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
NMI: Parity check/ memory parity error
*** The system has halted***

It occurs pretty randomly. Sometimes while watching a flash video it can
occur at 35th minute sometimes it can show up at 7th minute. Sometimes it
might not even show up after the full video (say 60 minutes). The videos
play fine in Linux.

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi