Re: OT: laptop recomendations

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 15:43:19 -0500
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
> >> As for the video card, if I play a flash based movie in windows XP, there
> >> will be a "blue screen memory map" error after some time. FWIW, the
> >> movies work fine in Linux. I searched in google for this and found that
> >> the video cards in Dell Inspiron E1505 are defective.
> >>

> > Which video card do you have? The ATI x1400 in this card was a pain in
> > the beginning, but now that ATI supports Linux it is great. I am very
> > happy with the video performance.
> >

> $lspci  | grep ATI
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M52 [ATI Mobility
> Radeon X1300]
>
> I can't complain about video performance. My complaint was with the memory
> parity errors when flash videos are played on Windows XP. The error is
>
> *** Hardware malfunction
> Call your hardware vendor for support
> NMI: Parity check/ memory parity error
> *** The system has halted***
>
> It occurs pretty randomly. Sometimes while watching a flash video it can
> occur at 35th minute sometimes it can show up at 7th minute. Sometimes it
> might not even show up after the full video (say 60 minutes). The videos
> play fine in Linux.

Perhapse you should run memtest (aptitude install memtest86+, then reboot,
choose the memtest option and let it run for a couple of hours).

Could be that you have some faulty memory that windows is hitting and linux not
for some reason (x3100  is a shared memory card), possibly due to video mode,
double buffering etc.

(although I don't know if memtest can check the video memory, you should
probably set it to the minimum in the bios for the test if possible)