Re: memory problem

On 01/01/09 11:11, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
On 2009-01-01 08:53:24 -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
  Firefox's memory usage may increase if it's left open for long
  periods of time. A workaround for this is to periodically restart
  Firefox.
Isn't this close to the definition of a memory leak? Of course,
"long periods of time" depends on how much spare memory you have
floating around. On 64 MB, "long periods" is about 3 minutes.

On my PowerBook (under Debian) with 256 MB, this is a few hours. But
if I don't use Firefox much often, it can run for weeks without any
problem (on the same machine). On my Power Mac (under Mac OS X) with
1.5 GB, Firefox starts to become unusable after a few days, sometimes
less; it also silently fails to fetch some files after this time, and
crashes when I quit it.

With 2GB RAM on x86-32, I'd have I/W (v3.0.5) up and running with multiple windows and dozens of tabs per window for a week or more, with it's RES stabilizing at around 600-800m.

With more RAM and a 64 bit kernel under 32 bit userland, it (FF 3.1b2 from mozilla.org) goes up to RES 1.8g and is still functional. But when that happens, Xorg grows to RES 831m yet doesn't recede after I kill FF.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.