Re: memory problem

On 2009-01-01 08:53:24 -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >   Firefox's memory usage may increase if it's left open for long
> >   periods of time. A workaround for this is to periodically restart
> >   Firefox.
>
> Isn't this close to the definition of a memory leak? Of course,
> "long periods of time" depends on how much spare memory you have
> floating around. On 64 MB, "long periods" is about 3 minutes.

On my PowerBook (under Debian) with 256 MB, this is a few hours. But
if I don't use Firefox much often, it can run for weeks without any
problem (on the same machine). On my Power Mac (under Mac OS X) with
1.5 GB, Firefox starts to become unusable after a few days, sometimes
less; it also silently fails to fetch some files after this time, and
crashes when I quit it.