Re: memory problem

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 10:15:13AM -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Wed December 31 2008, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > Since iceweasel went with GTK-2.0 (along with other gtk apps), the
> > memory hogging difference between GTK and KDE has pretty much gone out
> > the window. ?Then when you add the memory leak in the GTK on Etch it
> > becomes more memory efficient to use KDE apps (especially for apps that
> > you hope to keep running for any length of time).
>
> can you give me some examples of this, as in, a gnome app vs a KDE app. I
> don't mean amounts of memory used, I just mean specific apps, which ones..
> are you saying to use iceweasel vs epiphany?
> kmail vs.. Evolution?
> I guess I missed the memory leak thread..
>
> my setup is running Debian Lenny, with GDM.
> my wife used KDE & kmail
> I use gnome, and kontact.
> is the way i do it using more memory ?
> # uptime
>  10:14:57 up 8 days, 20:50,  4 users,  load average: 0.35, 0.39, 0.34

I don't have any gnome apps installed.  When Etch first came out I tried
the various browsers and found that konq gave the best performance with
the least memory (after I discovered the memory leak thing).  I don't
know if things are better with Lenny since I'm still on Etch.

As for iceweasel vs epiphany, I found that anything that used the gnome
libs ended up using more resources apart from the GTK-2.0 thing.

Note that I don't use a DTE at all, I use icewm.  I liked the ease of
configuring XFce4 (and I liked the terminal), but I could have a
terminal sitting there with top running and watch the memory usage go up
and up until, with nothing else running, my 1GB ram was used up and the
system started swapping.  After about 12 hrs, it started to thrash.
Note that stopping X (I use startx not a DM) fixed the problem so no
reboot was necessary.

Why not just compare the memory usage in top (or free) between a session
with your wife and with you?

Doug.