Re: unwanted DNS requests to localhost:53

Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   I think the point Martin is making (hopefully not putting words in
> his mouth)

I think I understood the point, but...

>  is that he doesn't know of anywhere that he configured
> localhost as a DNS resolver.

resolv.conf(5):

If this file [/etc/resolv.conf] doesn’t exist the only name server to be
queried will be on the local machine.

>   You would expect (or at least I would)
> that without any configured DNS server, DNS queries would just fail,
> not try to contact random servers in case something answered.

It's not random, nor servers. It's one host, the localhost, even if
there is a network interface no traffic goes through it, only through
the lo interface.

Now, I don't know why this is like this nor if this behavior is good (or
even useful), but that's how things work.

--
What this country needs is a good five cent microcomputer.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb