Re: How to append a simple text presentation at the beginning of a video file?

Rodolfo Medina wrote :
> Thanks for your help, Tom and Florian.
>
> About openmovieeditor, `apt-get install' in sid gives the following output:

> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.
>
> The following packages have unmet dependencies.
>   openmovieeditor: Depends: libgavl0 but it is not installable
> E: Broken packages
>
> , so I coudn't install it.  How did you install it, Tom?

My system is "mainly" Lenny, so no problem here since all dependencies
are met for Openmovieeditor 0.0.20080102-2.1+b1 . Maybe you have to add
Lenny to your sources just for it...

> .  Instead, I installed cinelerra in sid from debian-multimedia.org
> repositories.  But I don't manage to do absolutely nothing with it: even when I
> want to save or render a project, nothing is actually saved.
>
> Tom, maybe I'm asking too much, but a step-by-step suggestion is necessary for
> me.
>
> "thveillon.debian" <thveillon.debian@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> If what you need is just a "title like" piece of text, just load your
>> video and choose the "title" effect, write your text, choose the
>> rendering (color, fading, font, drop down shadow...) and the duration.
>> Repeat if needed with another piece of text. If you don't want the text
>> to appear on top of the video, just add some blank frames at the
>> beginning and apply the title effect to this part.
>
> I loaded the video in cinelerra, right clicked on it and chose `attach title',
> edited it but then...?  I did `File > Save as', but nothing remains saved.

"Title" is an effect, so right-click the clip and choose "attach
effect", then in the dialog box choose "title" (or any other you might
want to try out). Effects will appear as a thin line at the bottom of
the clip, you can mask them by clicking on the "start-like" button, and
edit the settings (if any) by clicking the magnifier button (you got it
right until then it seems).

If you choose to "save" a project, all you will end up with is a xml
description file of the project, sort of "profile", that can be reloaded
in Cinelerra during another session. If you want to actually apply the
effects and output the whole thing it's "render" in the "file" menu
you're looking for.

> "thveillon.debian" <thveillon.debian@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Open Cinelerra,
>> load your video, put the cursor at the beginning of it, and open the
>> "load files" dialog, choose your images then choose the "paste at
>> insertion point" insertion strategy. Your images will last only 1 frame,
>> so decrease the time line scale until you see them individually, and
>> increase the duration of each as needed (just drag the cursor from the
>> edge of the image to the desired duration). Of course you can add
>> effects, transitions, audio...
>

> Also here, I didn't manage at all.  I couldn't find how to decrease the time
> line scale as you, Tom, suggest, so I don't see the image at all.  When I save,
> nothing turns out to be saved.
>
> Excuse, thanks again
> Rodolfo

At the bottom left of the tracks editor window you'll see a down arrow
to the right of some time format, put the mouse cursor above it and
you'll see "duration visible in the timeline", that's what you're
looking for. The nearby double arrow allows you to change this setting
by one unit at a time. To increase the "duration" of a  still image (in
fact it's going to be copied over, visual result is a still image
anyway), just put the cursor next to it's right edge, and drag it to the
desired point. You can drag it only by a minimum of one time it's width
(or "duration").

Be aware that if you have separate audio tracks, the image insertion
will change their relative position to the main video, that is to say
your audio will be desynchronized from your main video. To change the
audio track(s) position, just use the cursor on the thin line
immediately on top of the audio track itself, and drag' n' drop it where
it belongs. If you have several audio tracks (stereo), move the upper
one to have them synchronized, start moving the lower one if you want
them independent.
During the first seconds of you presentation, you can of course add
audio, copy some from the main video...
To avoid the fuss with audio, work on a newly created project first
(same size and frame rate than the main video) , insert you images and
treat them as a slide show (see

http://makefx.wordpress.com/2008/10/07/how-to-load-images-to-make-a-simple-presentation-slideshow/

for this, it's a nice how-to). Once done playing with effects you can
"load > paste at insertion point" the main video at the end of the slide
show.

Lastly, be aware that Cinelerra is a facetious beast, miss one thing in
the configuration ("preferences" and "format" from the "settings" menu)
and it's going to crash on you every other click ! Like setting audio
frequency to 48000hz if your sound system is using 44100... That's a
common one.
There are very handy "save backup" and "load backup" options in the file
menu, and the "save (as)" you already discovered, it's a good idea to
use it after a major change or before a huge rendering...

Good luck with Cinelerra, it is indeed worth the effort if you're a
video enthusiast, the program being a really powerful toy. Maybe only
Blender in video editing mode can beat it on GNU-Linux, but the learning
curve is as steep as the Cinelerra one. For smaller ambitions
Openmovieeditor and Kdenlive are better options.

Don't hesitate to post if you're lost, and do wander the great web as it
is not short of very helpful resources and how-to.
Have a nice time.

Tom