Re: OT: laptop recomendations

On Friday 12 December 2008 03:24:35 Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:39:26 -0200
> "Ismael Scalcon" <thesupermouse@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Also, my girlfriend has bought herself an Acer Aspire (not the One),
> > and, so far, we had no problems with it.
>
> I've been using an Acer (Aspire 3690) for about two years with no
> problems yet, but I baby it; I've never dropped it, spilled anything
> into it, sat on it, etc.  The battery life is quite low, only about an
> hour and a half when new, but I nearly always use it on AC.  [Tangent:
> my impression is that that will help preserve the battery life, as
> charge / discharge cycles reduce it.  Is this true?]
>
> I've never dealt with Acer support.
>
> This was already a low end machine when I purchased it, but it is quite
> usable for my needs:
>
> Celeron M 420 @ 1.6GHZ
> 512MB RAM (recently upgraded to 2GB, not because I needed it, but
> because I found a steal on RAM)
> 60GB HDD
> Broadcom wireless (4318, supported perfectly by b43)
> 15 inch screen, Intel 945GM graphics
> Intel 82801G stuff inside
>
> The OP asked about performance, but IIUC, that will depend mostly on
> the actual components used, not on the build quality or any special
> sauce of the integrator.  I daresay I'm oversimplifying, and I'll
> appreciate corrections
>
> Celejar
> --
> mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
> ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator

I have an Acer Aspire 5310 and for compability it's *really* god.
I've also had dealings with Acer support here in Sweden and I have always been
Impressed with the fact that they acctually seem to have pretty good
technical knowledege, even at the "frontline".
The best thing about it is in my opinion the big screen and the nice keyboard,
the intel 950GM is also pretty well suported in lenny.

//Sundin