Re: Possible DNS issue in Debian/Lenny?

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 03:10:02PM -0600, Mike Chorak wrote:
> Alex Samad wrote:

[snip]

> When I removed mdns4 and mdns4-minimal from my /etc/nsswitch.conf file,
> and reenabled ipv6, i get the same problem...slow resolution of
> www.facebook.com! I'm really scratching my head on this one. I don't
> really disabling ipv6 because I have no use for it...as far as I
> know...but it seems like kind of an adhoc solution.

if you delve in to the glibc resolver code I believe it does a ipv6
lookup first (type AAAA), you can check this, in another window do

tcpdump -pni eth0 port 53 -vv

and in another window try wget www.facebook.com -O /dev/null

you should see a request for a AAAA record and then a A record.

ipv6 will auto configure an address, but shouldn't configure any routing
unless it has been enabled on the network. have a look at ip -6 r and ip
-6 a.

If you don't need ipv6 then turn it off :)