Re: Possible DNS issue in Debian/Lenny?

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 04:04:32AM -0600, Mike Chorak wrote:
> Alex Samad wrote:
>>
>> can you show us /etc/nsswitch.conf, also /etc/resolv.conf and try
>> dig google.com
>>

>> I am guessing you have the mdns in nsswitch (just a guess off the top of
>> my head)
>>

> # /etc/nsswitch.conf
> #
> # Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
> # If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed, try:
> # `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.
>
> passwd:         compat
> group:          compat
> shadow:         compat
>
> hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
> networks:       files
>
> protocols:      db files
> services:       db files
> ethers:         db files
> rpc:            db files
>
> netgroup:       nis
> # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
> resolvconf(8)
> #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
> nameserver 4.2.2.2
> nameserver 68.94.156.1
> nameserver 68.94.157.1

Sounds like you have fixed you problem  (disabling ipv6 )

but/if not

your resolv.conf is being created by you dhcp server. I would check that
these are valid dns server and allow you to resolve names.

dig @<serverip> google.com

/etc/nsswitch.conf

is used by the system from (glibc I think), when a request is made for
hostname it looks in here for how to access the host db (the host line),
first it looks in (files!) /etc/hosts then it tries the mdn4_minimal
service (this could be were the time might happen - seen on other
systems) then try traditional dns (using the /etc/resolv.conf
nameservers) and then back to mdns4

i usually only have

hosts:          files  dns ldap

on my systems