Re: playing multimedia over my local network - how?

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 00:24:40 -0500, H.S. (hs.samix@gmail.com) wrote:

> H.S. wrote:
>
> > Now what remains to be done is to get the right configuration for samba.
> > At present, I am using sudo with username and password to mount the
> > samba folder:
> > $> sudo mount -t cifs -o username=hs //gurh/Music /mnt/videos
>
> Better alternative:
> $> smbmount //M/Videos ~/Videos -o username=hs
>
> followed by the password. Then I get the mounted directory in ~/Videos.
> To unmount, I use "smbumount ~/Videos".

Glad you managed to get it working.

I do not manually mount/umount but instead have the following in my
/etc/fstab

[ Remote machine called gaia, folder to share 'fileserver', mounted on
/mnt/fileserver ]

//gaia/fileserver  /mnt/fileserver  cifs //guest,uid=1000,gid=1000  0 0

Of course, this presupposes that the remote PC is 'always there'.

I use static IPs with all machines on the LAN in the hosts file,
otherwise I believe I would need to use something like
"//192.168.200.7/fileserver" instead.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.