Re: playing multimedia over my local network - how?

Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Fri,21.Nov.08, 17:04:23, H.S. wrote:
>
>> Mostly I connect between different machine via SSH. So I can open an X
>> display. That gives the video but no sound on my local machine.
>
> So you want the sound on the local machine?

er, yes. The sound should be on the same machine where a video is being
played.

> I don't get it, if you mount a samba share all applications on the local
> machine (sound player, gqview) will use it just like a local storage. Or
> am I missing something? Maybe you should tell us exactly what machines
> you have and where you want the storage, respectively the output to be.

I tried that. Let us say I have a machine with samba running, called M,
and a shared folder on it called Videos. And I want to play a video on
machine called A.

I can browse the samba share on M from A using smb://M/Videos in
Konqueror. If I then try to play a video (on A) this way, it appears
that A is first copying the whole video data to somewhere locally (maybe
in /var on A) before playing it. This doesn't seem right in the sense
that A is not treating smb://M/Vidoes as a local storage. Or (more
likely) I am doing some wrong with the samba setup.

Related question: this method of installing a samba server on a machine
and putting all multimedia files on shared directories and then
accessing those shared directories from the machine one wants to play
the media on, is this one of the methods to do this kind of thing?

Regards.

ever having been read.