Re: playing multimedia over my local network - how?

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 10:46:00 -0500, H.S. (hs.samix@gmail.com) wrote:

> I tried that. Let us say I have a machine with samba running, called M,
> and a shared folder on it called Videos. And I want to play a video on
> machine called A.
>
> I can browse the samba share on M from A using smb://M/Videos in
> Konqueror. If I then try to play a video (on A) this way, it appears
> that A is first copying the whole video data to somewhere locally (maybe
> in /var on A) before playing it. This doesn't seem right in the sense
> that A is not treating smb://M/Vidoes as a local storage. Or (more
> likely) I am doing some wrong with the samba setup.
>
> Related question: this method of installing a samba server on a machine
> and putting all multimedia files on shared directories and then
> accessing those shared directories from the machine one wants to play
> the media on, is this one of the methods to do this kind of thing?

It sounds pretty normal and it works for me.  It's how most (presumably
all) "network-attached storage" (NAS) devices work.

Do you have the samba share mounted on the machine you are trying to
view the video from?

I cannot get the smb://M/Videos approach to work; albeit I have only
just tried it.

Try mounting the Videos directory and then see what happens.  Something
like:

# mount -t cifs //M/Videos /mnt/videos -o [ options ]

Then use Konqueror to look in /mnt/videos/

> Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
> newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
> filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
> ever having been read.

Well said ;-)

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.